TAGB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training with disabilities.

3 posters

Go down

Training with disabilities.  Empty Training with disabilities.

Post  H.May Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm

What's your views on training with a disability? I'm going to be completing my instructors courses next year with a view to opening my own school and doing my second Dan grading next April and was curious how you would approach training with disability?
I try to promote the benefits of training with a disability as much as possible. I have a chronic worsening lung disease and do everything in my power to support my training (that's were my perseverance, indomitable spirit etc comes into place). My instructors have done the same too by pushing me when i'm tired but then backing off at the right time. I've been known to turn up to classes using oxygen therapy to get me through the class which is a bit of a hindrance, but then it also raises the point to spectators and family members 'truly anyone can do TKD' i know I'm slightly getting off point here, but it also links in with my second Dan grading. For my 1st Dan grading, i was in a group with men- being very tall for my age i felt like in a way i had to 'compete' to ensure that i looked as good as the men when i was showing my skills and knowledge in TKD. But since then my condition has deteriorated, and i know by this time next year i will not be of the same ability- so if i was again in with just men, i would have a lack of confidence? or would the grading examiners take this on board? I guess i'm wanting to prepare myself for my second dan as much as possible, i don't want to set myself up for something that is not achievable, TKD is my LIFE, i would give up anything to carry on- and that's coming from me who thought i would give up by green belt! I also want to be able to give my students for my future school the best support i could ever give them. And maximise my experiences with disability in helping other people become great at TKD.

Sorry if this is rambly, any advice greatly appreciated!

H.May

Back to top Go down

Training with disabilities.  Empty Re: Training with disabilities.

Post  Kren Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:18 am

I think that most people will be able to benefit from training, regardless of their disability, but it does very much depend on the nature of your disability as to how it affects your training... if you see what I mean.

I put up an article a few days ago (https://tagb.forumotion.com/t56-can-you-be-too-fat-to-do-tae-kwon-do) which sort of touches on this - certainly my weight and size made me less able to train as I wanted - though of course the training I am doing is certainly helping with that.

A member at one of the clubs I train with commonly ends up having to half halfway through sparring to grab his inhaler, as he's pushed himself a little hard - but overall, I'm sure the aerobic exercise helps strengthen his cardiovascular system and improves his breathing, and prevents his Asthma affecting his day to day life as badly.

I've trained with people who had mental disabilities, and other than needing to be very careful, clear and patient with explaining techniques, and allowing sufficient time for them to learn and understand concepts, there's no reason why people who are less mentally able should not be able to train and benefit as much as anyone else.

I think it become more difficult with severe physical disabilities to encompase the whole spirit of Tae Kwon Do, though not impossible. I see no reason why a blind person, or someone confined to a wheelchair could not train - though you would have to make a much larger adjustment to your class and teaching style to accomodate them. They would undoubtedly gain from taking part, much like any other student, though I feel there are two particular areas of concern.

Firstly, would be that (depending on the specifics of the disability) they might never be able to correctly perform or carry out key parts of training... as an example a person who had lost their arm from the shoulder, would never be able to adequately perfom the wedging block in Do-San. How much importance you attach to this, is of course debatable.

Secondly, I think it would be very easy as an instructor to have issues balancing the time spent on a student with severe disabilities with that spent on the rest of the class. Though it would be (and should be) a reason to be sympathetic and compassionate to the disabled, it's equally unfair to prioritise one student's need over many others, who then lose out on the training time and expertise they have paid an equal amount for.

Overall, I think it very much depends on the nature of the disability, and how easily the person will be able to integrate into a class, but it's something we should encourage and aim to do wherever possible, for the benefits of all.
Kren
Kren

Back to top Go down

Post  Pegasus_0 Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 am

I have taught various people with varying disabilities.

My most recent student is under the orthopaedic surgeon for tight hamstrings. I just spoke to the kid and his dad to see what he physically can and cant do and work around this.
Unfortuneatly there is no textbook on how to teach people with disabilities. It's something that comes with practice.

Best thing i can suggest is to just take your time with those disabled students and make sure you don't single them out too much for having a disability as some may feel like a 'special case' and dont want to be.

Again, just make sure you talk to the individual and parents (if they are a child) to find out their habits and how they respond to various instructions just so you can still appear to be in control and also so you can devise various methods of allowing them to train to the best of their ability.
Pegasus_0
Pegasus_0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down