TAGB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belt Tying

5 posters

Go down

Belt Tying Empty Belt Tying

Post  Pegasus_0 Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:33 am

Hi!

Over the years since i started training, i have seen many different varitions in the way people tie their belts. Due to this, i don't really know which way is the 'correct way' and so wondered if anyone could shed some light onto this matter maybe with a link to a video or picture etc.
Pegasus_0
Pegasus_0

Back to top Go down

Belt Tying Empty Re: Belt Tying

Post  BedfordBoy Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:19 pm

Ok, this is how I was taught to tie a belt and it's the way I show students now:

1. Find the middle of your belt and place it against the middle of you (middle of your stomach/abdomen) hold the middle of the belt in both hands.
2. Keep the belt still against your body throughout, don't let it slide, slide your right hand to your right side and hold the belt there.
3. Slide your left hand left, with the belt in your hand, and around your body til you can grab it with your right hand and hold both ends with your right hand.
4. Release your left hand and use it to take hold of the belt on your left side.
5. In your right hand you have a long and a short length of belt, release the long bit and keep hold of the short bit. You now have a short length in your right hand and a long length in your left hand.
6. Put the short length in your right hand across your middle.
7. Put the long length in your left hand over the top and wind it around your waist making sure it sits on top of the length of belt that is already there.
8. When the long length passes over the short length again, pass it under both layers of belt that are now across your middle and out the top.
9. Take the length of belt that's poking out from the bottom of your belt and bring it over the top of the length that's poking out the top of your belt, then through the middle of the loop that that makes.
10. Pull both ends to finish!

I really should have done a video because that takes about ten seconds to show someone! The main thing is that the resulting belt isn't twisted or winding around itself, basically it should look like it's a double width belt that's gone round you once.
BedfordBoy
BedfordBoy

http://www.bedfordtkd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pegasus_0 Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 am

I was told that from step one of your variation is not correct. I was taught that your not supposed to find the middle. This is exactly what im talking about haha!
Pegasus_0
Pegasus_0

Back to top Go down

Post  M.Cavallin Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:13 am

I also don't favour that way - mostly because students let it twist at the back and that really irritates me lol!!
Especially when high grades do it and you have an overlap at the back.
We make sure we have a "triangle" shape at the knot.
so we start with the left side and hang it to the right, wind it round, then, the piece you wound round goes underneath the whole thing, and comes out the top. After that, it goes over the hanging piece and round to form the triangle knot.
there are plenty of videos if you just google them
M.Cavallin
M.Cavallin

http://www.lewestaekwondo.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BedfordBoy Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 am

Oh well, it's worked for me all these years!
BedfordBoy
BedfordBoy

http://www.bedfordtkd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pegasus_0 Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:55 am

M.Cavallin wrote:I also don't favour that way - mostly because students let it twist at the back and that really irritates me lol!!
Especially when high grades do it and you have an overlap at the back.
(This annoys me too)

We make sure we have a "triangle" shape at the knot.
so we start with the left side and hang it to the right, wind it round, then, the piece you wound round goes underneath the whole thing, and comes out the top. After that, it goes over the hanging piece and round to form the triangle knot.
If i am thinking rightly this is like how i was taught to do mine. I have seen many videos but with lots of variations. Just wondered what is considered the 'correct way' universally! lol
Pegasus_0
Pegasus_0

Back to top Go down

Post  Angie™ Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I don't think how it's tied is important as long as the end result looks how it should.

I'm under the understanding that the 'arrow shape' in the knot should point to the left (the belt wearers left). This making it difficult for an attacker to take it off you and use it against you.
Plus, on black belts the TAGB and korean embroidery should hang down the left side (symbolising a defensive art).

Of course i could have just been told a load of twaddle, but it does sound conceivable.

Anyway, according to Choi's TKD Encyclopedia.....
1. Hold the belt at the center.
2. Place the belt on the umbilicus.
3. Wrap it to the ribs.
4. Cross it at the back keeping the belt held with the left hand under the other to prevent the belt from being twisted.
5. Bring the left hand to the abdomen, keeping it as it is.
6. Cross the right end over the belt at the umbilicus.
7. Placing right over left, tie and tighten it.

It also states
Both ends should be of the same length and the belt should not be twisted at the back.

Hope this helps.

Angie™

http://www.kimberleytkd.co.uk/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Pegasus_0 Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:48 am

Ah thats pretty cool. I like little things like such and such symbolises such and such eg defensive art. Little things like this make studying martial arts worth it. Especially ones that require you to look into culture and philosophy of the art.
Pegasus_0
Pegasus_0

Back to top Go down

Post  HongKongPhuey Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:32 pm

I agree with BedfordBoy for the most part, but I differ on two points, firstly I go the opposite way around at the start so I end up with both parts on my left side and secondly to tie the knot you should take the top part and pass it over the bottom part. Do this in reverse and you don't get a knot you just end up looping one end around the other!
The main thing is - this is the traditional method of tying the belt, it's easier to start at the back with one long piece and one short piece but I'd call this a short cut to the original!
The only reason people make a mistake when starting at the front with the middle of the belt is because they try to take both ends round at the same time! This will always result in a twist at the back (or a crossover may be a better description). Remember - one side all the way round first then the other.
Still surprises me to this day how many 1st kups have taken and I dare say will continue to take their black belt grading incorrectly dressed!

ps nice to meet you all and good to see the new site and forum getting off to a great start Smile
HongKongPhuey
HongKongPhuey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down