TAGB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black belt gradings

+6
Ses
DavidP
darkknight
BedfordBoy
dajack9
M.Cavallin
10 posters

Go down

Black belt gradings Empty Black belt gradings

Post  M.Cavallin Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:52 am

What are people's opinions of the black belt gradings?

How do you know if someone "deserves" a BB, and what counts the most - dedication, hard work and the right attitude, or skill and ability?
M.Cavallin
M.Cavallin

http://www.lewestaekwondo.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Black belt gradings Empty Re: Black belt gradings

Post  dajack9 Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:11 am

My own experiences of the black belt grading are mixed.
My initial feelings of arriving at the Bristol grading centre was of disapointment, downstairs it is pretty basic.
However, when you go up into the dojang it is a totally different feeling, i felt at home and started to relax.
I also enjoyed seeing all the TAGB board members coming into the room and realising that i was to be graded by all the people i had seen in various TAGB publications and website!
My instructor tells me that if you put all the hard work into the lessons the gradings aren't as daunting as they seem, i would have to agree.

As to why someone deserves a black belt, I remember at a BB pre grading Mr Oliver saying that a black belt just shows the length of time they have been training.

What counts the most- dedication, hard work and the right attitude, or skill and ability?
I've always believed that you can overcome most things by the right attitude, dedication and hard work, i would love to have more natural skill and ability but have to work with what i have got! Wink
dajack9
dajack9

Back to top Go down

Post  BedfordBoy Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 pm

M.Cavallin wrote:How do you know if someone "deserves" a BB, and what counts the most - dedication, hard work and the right attitude, or skill and ability?

For me it's got to be attitude! Mainly because of the knock-on effect it has on everything else (right attitude = hard work = increase in skill & ability over time) but also because a student with a good attitude is a real joy to teach and you know they're giving the best they can, whatever that is. On top of that, good attitude sets a good example to everyone else and gets them all working that bit harder, which is nice!

I love BB gradings, doing or watching, both are great! Is it the smell of fear and adrenaline in the air? Is it the feeling of occasion, that something special is going on? Is it the buzz of expectation of a hard test to come?

I dunno!

I do know how awful it looks when a young black tag with everything going for them physically but a bad attitude gets up and just goes through the motions without any committment - I think that deserves a fail! Twisted Evil
BedfordBoy
BedfordBoy

http://www.bedfordtkd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  M.Cavallin Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 am

It's safe to say that hopefully most people will agree about the attitude. Would you say someone could pass solely on that though? What if they are really not a natural so to speak?

I have to admit I am a massive fan of the BB gradings too, i love doing them!! I feel like now we don't grade as often it's a real chance to prove yourself or just put yourself through that test, and give you something to aim for, probably why I enjoy competing.
My bf is grading for his BB this october, and he has worked so hard I can't wait for him to take it. I'll be going up with him, but i know i won't be allowed to watch!
unbelievable the effect that the Bb has on some people! For me it was like i put a magic suit on.

It upsets me when people take their BB and then quit, what a waste Sad
M.Cavallin
M.Cavallin

Back to top Go down

Post  M.Cavallin Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:09 am

It's safe to say that hopefully most people will agree about the attitude. Would you say someone could pass solely on that though? What if they are really not a natural so to speak?

I have to admit I am a massive fan of the BB gradings too, i love doing them!! I feel like now we don't grade as often it's a real chance to prove yourself or just put yourself through that test, and give you something to aim for, probably why I enjoy competing.
My bf is grading for his BB this october, and he has worked so hard I can't wait for him to take it. I'll be going up with him, but i know i won't be allowed to watch!
unbelievable the effect that the Bb has on some people! For me it was like i put a magic suit on.

It upsets me when people take their BB and then quit, what a waste Sad
M.Cavallin
M.Cavallin

Back to top Go down

Post  BedfordBoy Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 am

You could never pass on just one factor, that would be like getting your theory right but then not doing any physical! If you've got the right attitude then you've put in the time and effort, inside and outside the dojang, and even if you're not a 'natural' then at least you know what you're doing, you know your patterns/sparring routines etc and you're giving all you've got to do them as best you can - now that's getting into pass territory!
BedfordBoy
BedfordBoy

http://www.bedfordtkd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  darkknight Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:34 am

Attitude indeed, its not all down to technical ability or sparring etc. Its a martial art and has many different disciplines.

It should be what achieving your black belt means to you, afterall, thats your first step into really training in TKD.

darkknight

Back to top Go down

Black belt gradings Empty Black Belt Gradings

Post  DavidP Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:46 am

To decide if someone "deserves" a black belt, of course they have to meet the technical standards.

Also, they must exemplify the tenets of tkd and always give training their best effort.

In addition, they must be willing to make sacrifices for the art. e.g. helping at tournaments, helping to teach at their club (and being at EVERY lesson).

and I'm sure there's plenty of things I've missed, they're just the first couple to pop into my head. Smile

DavidP

Back to top Go down

Post  Ses Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 am

Black belt gradings are just like any other grading, easy if you prepare. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail".
Ses
Ses

https://www.facebook.com/sam.essien

Back to top Go down

Post  mafiafran Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:57 am

MLS Mississauga
Missouri assisted living

mafiafran

Back to top Go down

Post  Nataku6262 Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:44 am

The most important thing as to whether a person deserves a black belt is there ability, this is because I feel that not enough focus is placed on the actually skills of people in a grading, yes having the correct attitude is important and yes some people will have more natural ability than others however to achieve a black belt requires a great deal of dedication anyway and without maintaining the correct attitude it is highly unlikely that a person would have sufficient skill to achieve a black belt.

There is an insuffcient focus put on the skill level of people and it allows far too many people hold ranks whereby they are unable to demonstrate skills or knowledge that was required in previous ranks. I think practitioners should realize that there is honour (for lack of a better word) in saying i can't do whats required in my next grading i'm gonna wait to grade or even not grade anymore (although continue to train)

I have gone to a number of clubs and also studied outside the TAGB at which i refrain from wearing a belt at the first session, and my greatest fear is that someone would guess what grade I am as a lower rank than I hold. I feel that far too many people would be looked at without there belt and people would guess there rank to be lower than what they have been awarded.

You should demonstrate your rank through your knowledge and ability not through the outfit that you wear.

Nataku6262

Back to top Go down

Post  Kren Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 pm

My thoughts are that it should be both.

It should absolutely be skill and ability that determine if you pass your black belt grading.
But it should also be a measure of your maturity, attitude and approach that your instructor agrees to enter you for your black belt grading.

I detest the idea that a black belt can be earnt with sufficient time, regardless of achievement or level of skill. For me the belt should signify a level of competence and ability overall - people may have an area they are weak in - after all, we're not all perfect - but they should be "good" and able to perform or demonstrate the vast majority of the movements, attacks, defences, patterns and techniques to a high standard.
Kren
Kren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tkdgaz Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 am

Knowing the patterns inside out is very important, because the patterns is what makes our art different to other styles of martial arts.

Tkdgaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down